Sunday, November 18, 2007

An Open Letter to the girl in my Poetics Class

Dear Girl in my Poetics Class,

You are smart. I get it. You are from Korea and have a great grasp on the English language and you know more than I do. Undoubtedly. Your academic prowess is far more advanced and the doctorate program you are a part of far dwarfs my tiny masters program with only 30 graduate credits. Honestly this is my first graduate English course.

However, I would be greatly obliged if you would stop citing Lacan. We all love him; swear to God, or whatever psychological propping device Jacques would have us use. I know he might seem like a good figure, all knowledgeable and such, but just leave it. I actually don't care what he says anymore, Lacan is LaWorst; and I don't ever use that word.

I am sure we can get by this small roadblock, you have done so well already. I think you can overcome this, much like Lacan helped thousands get over whatever notable thing that Lacan helped with. I don't know.

Sincerley,

Mallory

1 comment:

DJ Believe it or Not said...

dear mallory,

Lacan helped me clean my bathroom just yesterday. Props to lacan. at first, I didn't know who this bizarre little man was. So i gave him a sponge and all was well. hurrah!

love,
Becca