Monday, October 15, 2007

Gym Ettiquette

Lately, in an attempt have some sort of life and to prevent myself from getting up at 10 am every day, I have been going to the gym. Comrade Tina has been a fine partner indeed and usually accompanies me on these trips.

The Fitness Center at Albany is rarely crowded and usually I spend time on the elipticals (I'm not sure how to spell/ avoid spelling that). They face the rest of the gym, creating a perch from which to spy on the rest of the gym-goers. Here is where my problem exists.

I have this horrible habit where I am make eye-contact with lots of people. (It is at this time that I should probably let you know that I am not autistic. Or at least I think so, but it still is awful.) I am elipticizing on the machines and listening to wonderful music; where are my eyes supposed to go?

Here's the usual breakdown at the gym, leaving myself and Tina out:
-tattooed biceps man (Tina notes that a mjority of the ink is tribal in nature)
-Athletes trying to amp up or something. They are usually wearing Underarmor and that means they are serious.
-Men who aren't atheletes and sweat a lot. They usually hang by the machines and take a long time between reps.
-Girls who don't really need to be there, they often have at least one article of clothing from the Victoria's Secret "Pink" line.
-Random girls who are all about staying in relative shape.
-Old people who use the stationary bikes and rowing machines.

Now the category we are looking at are the Men Who Sweat a Lot. Note that time between reps where they make funny faces is highly increased. This leaves me a lot of time to stare at them and think about who they might be. This also increases the amount of time that they catch eye contact with me too and then, to make matters just a little more awful, I then dart my eyes away, making me look even more creepy. On average this may happen with just one Man Who Sweats A Lot 8-9 times. I know. It's bad.
I may need some help with gym ettiquette, or soon I will be asked to leave. Then, where am I going to think about why Tribal Tattoo Man is pulling up his shirt to reveal rock hard abs for 5 minutes. More on this is the future.

3 comments:

Tina DiAntonio said...

the gym is endlessly entertaining. except for the workout out part. that really blows a big one.

PS. COMMENTSSSSSSS

Tina DiAntonio said...

*working out

PPS. MORE COMMENTS I LOVE COMMENTS

Iron Chancellor said...

comment comment comment